Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This blog is a place for me to get my priorities straight. It's a place to talk about things I think might be really important and stuff that is just plain garbage. It's a place for me to put into words what it is I think I'd like to do with the rest of my life.

Right now I'm stuck in the quagmire of graduate school. Four years into a PhD is not a fun place to be, let me tell you. I entered grad school all rosy cheeked and idealistic about what I might be able to accomplish and contribute to the world of science and health. And bit by bit over these last four years nearly every shred of this hope and idealism has been torn away. It's been torn away by my inability to produce meaningful results. It's been torn away by the insignificance of the research that I (and I believe most of the scientific community) am doing. It's been torn away by the increasing amounts of ridiculous paperwork involved in conducting science. I no longer believe that I can make a significant contribution to science or society if I continue on the path of academia.

About a year ago my husband (also a grad student) and I began to form a new idea. An idea that would satisfy our need to continually learn and discover - but on our own terms. We would be able to create and experiment AND make tangible contributions to society. What, you may ask, is this incredible idea?

We want what I believe is part of the new American Dream - to live and work on a farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be there to help you plant and harvest!!